CIAL’s green energy generation touches 35 Cr. Units!
- CIAL, the second largest energy producer in the state after KSEB
- Till date reduced 1.6 lakh metric ton of carbon footprint
- 75 lakh units generated so far alone from its hydro project
Cochin International Airport Ltd (CIAL), world’s first airport fully powered by solar energy has crossed another milestone this week, in its trysts with the green energy initiatives, by achieving a cumulative production volume of 35 crore units; offsetting 1,60,000 metric tons of carbon emission.
- CIAL started its solar initiatives in 2013, with a 100kWp Pilot Plant.
- CIAL expanded its solar capacity in phases and attained the status as ‘World’s first Airport to be fully powered by solar energy’ by 2015 with an installed capacity of 13.1MWp.
- CIAL now has a total installed solar capacity of 50 MWp.
- Together with its 4.5 MW Hydroelectric power project at Arippara, CIAL is now the 2nd largest power producer in Kerala after KSEB
- Till date, CIAL has generated more than 25 crores units of green power from various solar PV installations at the airport, reducing the carbon footprint by 1,60,000 Metric tonnes.
- The 12 MWp solar plant at Payyannur which was inaugurated in March 2022, has generated approximately One Crore units of green power till date.
- Arippara Small Hydro Electric Project of CIAL which was commissioned in Novemeber 2022 has also generated approximately 75 lakh units till date
- Agro-photovoltaic activities utilising the vacant spaces between the solar panels in the CIAL solar plant, has so far produced approximately 90 metric tonnes of pesticide-free vegetables.
“CIAL’s development policy encompasses Total Sustainability Management (TSM). We try to explore every possible way to address climate change. CIAL which achieved power neutrality in 2015 now becomes a power surplus organisation, feeding approximately 4 crore units of excess power annually to the State grid. And with the help of the Government, we are sure that we can venture into more such projects in near future ".
S.Suhas IAS ,Managing Director, CIAL